Found this on a medical website...love it!
RATIONALE OF HUGGING
• Feels good.
• Dispels loneliness.
• Overcomes fears.
• Opens doors to feelings.
• Builds self-esteem; (“Wow! She actually wants to hug me!”).
• Fosters altruism; (“I can’t believe it, but I actually want to hug that old son-of-agun!”).
• Slows down aging; huggers stay younger longer.
• Helps curb appetite; we eat less when we are nourished by hugs—and when our arms are
busy wrapped around others.
• Eases tension.
• Fights insomnia.
• Keeps arm and shoulder muscles in condition.
• Provides stretching exercise if you are short.
• Provides stooping exercise if you are tall.
• Offers a wholesome alternative to promiscuity.
• Offers a healthy, safe alternative to alcohol and other drug abuse (better hugs than drugs!).
• Affirms physical being.
• Is democratic; anyone is eligible for a hug.
• Is ecologically sound.
• Is energy-efficient; saves heat.
• Is portable.
• Requires no special equipment.
• Demands no special setting; anyplace from a doorstep to an executive conference room,
from a church parlor to a football field, is a fine place for a hug!
• Makes happy days happier.
• Makes impossible days possible.
• Imparts feeling of belonging.
• Fills up empty places in our lives.
• Keeps on working to dispense benefits even after the hug’s release.
(Source: The Hug Therapy Book by Kathleen Keating)